Becoming a ski patroller can be a great experience. It requires a certain degree of commitment but the rewards are great:
You can learn advanced first aid, meet fun people with similar interests, provide valuable community service, get exercise, improve your skiing, build confidence and many more.
What we are Looking For
Your skills are important, but your attitude and other intangibles are even more important. As a volunteer organization we rely on people to help people. Many of our members have over 10 years of service in the patrol and we are always looking for more people who are committed, enthusiastic and willing to work in a team environment. There are some attributes we are seeking in a patrol candidate and during your first year of candidacy training you will be assessed on the following:
- Ability to work as part of a team, as well as leadership skills.
- An attitude of caring and concern for others.
- Continued interest - we would like you to be part of the organization over the long haul.
- Cooperation and compatibility with the skiing public, area personnel and other patrollers.
- Willingness to be instructed and trained as a patroller.
- Desire to contribute to the Patrol and ski area.
- Commitment to and enthusiasm for Ski Patrol programs.
- Sking or boarding ability - you must be proficient and safe on all runs.
- Minimum age of 18 at the start of the season (16 for the Junior Patrol).
In your first year with FASP you will serve as a probationary patroller and will be assigned specific duty periods on the mountain of your choice. During the winter months, every FASP member is required to train and patrol up to 15 days from October to April. This does not include the time spent on your first aid course.
Ready to Join Us?
If you are interested to become a patroller, please fill out the online application form and email it to the supervisor of the mountain you are looking to patrol on, or print and mail it to us.
You can also e-mail us if you have any questions about the patrol, or just visit us during the winter season on the mountains! We can be easily seen in our red jackets around the slopes.
Join FASP - Cypress Cross Country - Hollyburn